Peter Schilling (not this one), IT Director of Amherst College, has crunched the numbers and has come up with some interesting statistics regarding the 438 newly enrolled student population. Here are a few notable points:
- – Percentage of applicants that applied online = 89%.
- – Registered devices (computers, iphones, game consoles) on the University network – 370 students registered 443 devices.
- – 14 students brought desktop computers, while 93 brought iPhones/Touch devices.
- – Likelihood of a student in class having an iPhone/Touch – 1 in 2.
- – 432 of 438 students were involved in the Amherst College Facebook group, and had posted 3,225 posts by mid August.
- – Total number of students on campus this year that have landline phone service – 5.
- – Classes 2009 and 2010 are more likely to own Windows machines, while classes of 2011 and 2012 are most likely to own Macs.
Times are changing. This survey has really made me want to do something similar here on campus.