Great idea. I am not sure how original it is, but I would love to see what students could produce related to their own young lives or referring to other individuals (famous others, or family & friends). This could be a wonderful exercise.
I put this on Youtube a couple of weeks ago, but others have asked me to share this on my blog. To make a long story short, we have a cat name Milo. My three year-old daughter Raine misheard the lyrics to a classic song, and has been singing it “her way” ever since.
I was tagged by Dean, here my 8 random facts (right after I explain the meme itself).
1. Post these rules before you give your facts
2. List 8 random facts about yourself
3. At the end of your post, choose (tag) 8 people and list their names, linking to them
4. Leave a comment on their blog, letting them know theyâ€™ve been tagged
So here they are:
1) I used to be a talented percussionist and pianist … then one day I just stopped playing. Big regret.
2) My B.Ed focused on English and Social Studies instruction, however as the young guy on staff at my first school, I was expected to teach “computer class”. I’ve now never left this subject-area/field.
3) My first car was a 1977 Propane-powered Ford Granada, and I drove it like it was an off-road vehicle. Looking back, I’m lucky I never blew myself up.
4) I’ve been in in two vehicle rollovers and one major accident (just last year) involving a fatality and serious injuries. In all three cases, I wasn’t driving and I walked away unharmed. Seatbelts work.
5) I invested months of work on one PhD topic related to preservice teacher professional development and technology integration. However, after watching one presentation re: open source culture I radically shifted gears … no regrets.
6) I’ve been a very successful blackjack card counter since about 2000. Luckily, it’s acceptable where I play. I just love applied mathematics/statistics.
7) My parents ran a successful Greek restaurant called Mario’s in Humboldt, Saskatchewan for several decades. It’s no longer there, but it’s amazing how many people still share their fond memories of the place.
8) I plan to retire young from an academic career and run a small restaurant on a Greek island somewhere. Maybe I’ll see you there.
I agree with Dean, I won’t go commenting on people’s blogs to let them know about this. If they use technorati, they’ll likely find it.
I enjoy this take on the “take a photo of yourself everyday” meme that has recently been popular.
Great stuff. And I think this could be an easy-to-model assignment (digital story-telling through stop-frame animation) for the K-12 classroom. Of course, the drugs, cheating and drinking may not be the most suitable context.
I’ve experimented with a web-based facial recognition application, and a couple of the results are described below. The application compares your uploaded photo to a celebrity photo database and produces several possible matches. Maybe this will end up becoming a meme.
After several attempts, it seems that I have facial characteristics similar to … Robin Williams?
Ummmm … I don’t think so.
And, as I scroll down the list, it produces an even more amazing comparison … it seems I also look much like Lindsay Lohan!
Yea … I have my doubts. The only thing I seem to have in common with Ms. Lohan is that we are both staring to the right in these photos.
Well it’s a neat technology, but obviously, still pretty buggy (at least in this particular case). Or maybe there’s just no one like me. “I’m good enough, smart enough … and gosh darnit, people like me.”
Have a try, and let me know what your results are.
I am fiercely protective of my friends and loved ones, and unforgiving of any who would hurt them. Speed and foresight are my strengths, at the cost of a little clumsiness. I’m most comfortable with a few friends, but sometimes particularly enjoy spending time in larger groups. What Video Game Character Are You?