Here’s a helpful wiki-ed tutorial from Eduforge that highlights:
* two main challenges faced by the community developing open source software for the education market
* ways open source software can enhance its leadership position in the education market
* growth in online education and the origins of learning content management systems
* educational organizations that use open source software and those that have migrated to using open source systems
* advantages and disadvantage of hosting software applications
The document is a bit sparse in places (likely why it’s in wiki form), but it does provide several good resources and helps to make the case for an increased use of open source software in the educational environment.